Thursday 15 August 2013

Glass ceilings

Real, not metaphorical.
This week I had the pleasure of attending a business meeting at the Gherkin. While I am still undecided what to think about the exterior, the views from the top are seriously stunning! For a change, I walked most of the way and thought that I really should walk more! Not (only) for the health benefits but also to really see the city I live in. Especially in the City, you find such an eclectic mix of old and new, right next to each other.

Some facts:
  • while the building is known as the Gherkin, it's actually called 30 St Mary Axe and stands on a street called St Mary Axe
  • unfortunately the bar and restaurants are only open to tenants/members and their guests
  • it has 41 floors and is 180m tall 
  • each floor rotates 5° from the one below
  • there is only one piece of curved glass - the lens at the top of the building

My photos are rather crap (as usual), so check out their website instead.

Tower Bridge and the Tower of London, the Shard, St. Pauls, Heron Tower - to name a few

No comments:

Post a Comment