Saturday 14 December 2013

Budding Masterchef class

Leith's  - the catering company at the Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre hosted a Masterchef class last week. Chef Danny and Pastry Chef Sweet Pea (what a cool name!) tried to teach us some tricks. The class was announced as Christmas themed - but other than the mulled wine, there wasn't much Christmas in there, I thought.

We made summer rolls, sushi cubes and tuna carpaccio. I actually learned how to make summer rolls at the School of Wok, and it was a good reminder just how easy they are to prepare! I really need to buy some rice paper! Otherwise, I tried my best to stay away from Danny's sharp knives. He's just recently cut off his fingertip and I wasn't keen on experiencing the same... Together with Sweet Pea, we prepared the most delicious Blackforest Swiss Roll! we got recipe cards and an apron to take home.

After standing in the kitchen for more than two hours, my back was really hurting and I was very happy to sit down with drinks and bowl food. And yes, I am not made to be a chef! That's for sure...

Overall, I think the idea is a nice one. I'm just not sure that the networking element worked all that well. And without wanting to be too harsh, I think that was partly because the chef really liked to talk. So he was dominating the class and at the same time, it didn't feel as if we really got stuck in. I think the long list of things we were preparing didn't help either.


Seriously delicious and calorific....
Duck with egg and rosti; mushrooms with toast; scallops with cauliflower mash

No comments:

Post a Comment