Sunday 10 August 2014

I need more space!

If my sewing motivation continues like this, I will soon run out of space in my wardrobe... Another sign that it's time to move! ;-)

I started and finished this dress over the weekend. The fabric is stretch again, but not as flimsy as the last dress which made it much easier to sew with - even when sewing through many layers at the collar and the cuffs. I used the same pattern but this time without the collar and 3/4 sleeves. So, sleeves like on the blue dress, but without the pleats.

I cut a size 8, but had to make it smaller on the top, especially under the arms is was too big. Unfortunately, I think I've taken it in a tiny bit too much, so it's a little on the tight side. Best to hold my breath when wearing it... I also had trouble with the neck edge. The understitching did nothing to keep the facing on the inside, so I decided to stitch it into place. Doesn't look all that pretty but it helped. I'm also still struggling with getting the darts right. The bottom of the waist darts look dodgy and I'm glad I decided not to even bother with bust darts... as I think they would have just ruined the look, too (based on me just not being able to get them right!). Last but not least, the hem didn't turn out great. I think I might have pulled too hard on the fabric and thereby stretched it too much. I might try again and make it a bit shorter in the process.

I'm rather proud that I even overlocked (well, zigzag stitched) some of the seams. Not all of them of course - let's be realistic: it's still lazy-me...

Only place to take a photo: standing on my bed;
button and cuff and fabric in a close up


No comments:

Post a Comment