Sunday 21 September 2014

C'est courageux d'aller dans l'inconnu

I have five books on the go at the moment. Two are non-fiction, one of them I keep going back to, the second one I might have to restart again. And I can't really get into the three novels that I started during the last few months, so I decided to try another one as I realized that I have at least three novels that I bought a while ago and had completely forgotten about.

And I started with Gayle Forman's 'Just one day'. I read her 'If I stay' a little while ago (the movie was released last month), and while I liked it, it didn't blow me away. But I really liked Just one day. Both are 'young adult' books - so not sure what that says about my mental development... Once I had started, I couldn't put it down and spent most of the weekend in bed reading. And crying. Of course, for me to like a book there has to be some crying! Sad as well as happy crying.

The book starts with a spontaneous 24 hours trip to Paris. And I was wondering how much it would be a copy of 'Before sunrise'. But surprisingly, the Paris episode is only about a third of the book. The rest is in a way what happens in between 'Before sunrise' and 'Before sunset'.

So many of the themes resonated with me: about friendships, life choices, being and pretending to be. Have started with the next book already: 'Just one year'.

No comments:

Post a Comment